Friday 5 April 2013

Walter & Me.



Walter Malloy Buckner, Jr. (1967-2013)


(The following is to be read at Walter’s remembrance ceremony at The Retreat, April 13th, 2013 in Wayzata, MN on behalf of Jeremy Nerenberg)....>>>>

Greetings from Toronto, Canada.  My name is Jeremy Nerenberg. 
The Blogger


It pains me greatly to say that due to circumstances beyond my control – and I mean that quite literally – I cannot be here in person for my brother Walter. 

I can explain.  You see, the United States Department of Homeland Security deported me to Canada in 2010 – yes, I’m serious.  As a Canadian citizen living in the U.S. since 1978, I ran into some trouble with the law several years ago.  And, ultimately, due to my inability to stay sober and play by the rules, I was not-so-politely removed from the U.S. and dropped off in the city of my birth, Toronto, where I sit today.  I had many, many chances to get my act together and avoid such a drastic consequence. 

There is only one other person I know who is capable of irritating someone to such an extreme extent – someone so gifted in his capacity to annoy, aggravate, infuriate and exasperate other human beings to the point of insanity…

I first met Walter Buckner six years ago, right here at The Retreat.  I had just flown in from Aspen, Colorado (where I was living at the time) in yet another attempt to ‘get sober.’  I had been here for about a week at the time, when some friends of another Retreat guest came out here to Wayzata from St. Paul to visit their comrade.  I noticed one of these guys in some designer sunglasses, smoking a cigarette and talking n on his cellphone off in a corner of the courtyard by himself.  He was brought over and introduced to me as it was known that I grew up in Dallas, Texas, and apparently this guy had also grown up in Dallas.

Walter and I quickly learned that we had actually grown up just a few miles from each other in Dallas.  But since Walter was a few years older than me and we went to different schools, our paths never crossed until that day – in Minnesota of all places.  Walter had arrived here many years earlier of course in an attempt to deal with his own issues, while I was still years away from the darker part of my life.

I ended up staying on in St. Paul after my thirty days here at The Retreat.  As fate would have it, I moved into a sober house on Lincoln Drive (or Avenue, I don’t remember), and Walter was one of my new housemates.  I quickly learned that this guy was a monumental ‘piece of work.’  Sarcastic, obnoxious, unbelievably direct and way too cool for his own good.  He was impossibly difficult, insufferable, intolerable and insane.  I absolutely loved it.  We were soon as close as only brothers-in-arms can be. 

We developed an unbreakable bond, one like only soldiers united against a common foe can experience.  Many of you in this room know what I’m talking about.  It’s a magical byproduct of this program – this fellowship – this wonderful, colorful, beautiful, tragic, painful world of recovery.
Even though I only knew Walter for six years, and even though we only lived in the same city together for two years, I consider Walter to be one of the closest friends I’ve ever had at any time in my life.  You see, Walter was sober the entire time I lived  in Minnesota.  I, on the other hand, continued down a path of periodic relapse, trouble, madness and chaos.

Walter had my back the entire time.  When others turned away from me, Walter sought me out and made sure I was okay.  He would not leave my side as I struggled.  

For much of my time in St. Paul, I too was sober, and it was during that period when we were both healthy at the same time, that I cherish most with Walter.  We were very much alike – we had the same tastes in music, clothing, and many, many other of the finer things in life that two ex-rich kids from Dallas, Texas acquire a taste for.  We argued about everything and agreed on everything at the same time.  I saw myself in Walter and he saw himself in me.  We were both neurotic as hell and we bickered at each other like an old married couple. 

And neither one of us gave a shit about what anyone else thought of our mutual Southern arrogance. 
Walter was a walking contradiction.  No writer of fiction is creative enough to come up with such a character.  He’s impossible to properly describe in mere words.  One must experience his presence and personality in order to get a glimpse of such a curious creature.  He had the very rare combination of character traits that enabled him to help someone like me – someone equally impossible.

Walter was clearly jaded and traumatized by his many past experiences, as many of us are.  But Walter also possessed the innate gifts of compassion and empathy.  He was a restless soul with a spirit that was not comfortable within the confines of the limited human body.  He was misunderstood by most, because he let very few people inside.  I was the same, and I know many of you sitting here today could share similar experiences in that regard.

I never had an older brother – I was the oldest in my family.  During my two years in Minnesota, Walter was my big brother.  My guardian angel.  I will not go into detail about the many specific ways in which Walter helped me – it’s too personal and painful to rehash in this way, in this room.  There is enough pain in this room already.  Granted, I’m fairly certain there will be a lot of laughter in this room tonight too.  My thoughts and memories of Walter over the past couple of years generally result in me laughing out loud at the sheer absurdity of some of the things I witnessed around Walter……actually, “absurd” isn’t a descriptive enough word.  The man was capable of evoking the most ridiculous, preposterous, silly, outlandish, devious and totally irrational events in any situation, at any time, regardless of location. 

Walter had a profound impact on my own personality.  Sometimes I’ll notice the way I’m moving or the way I’m talking or even the way I present myself, and I’ll realize that part of my personal style and disposition represents the special relationship I had with Walter Buckner.

I am shaken to the core by the circumstances surrounding Walter’s untimely passing. Walter was at his best when I was at my worst, and I will always regret that I could not be there for him when he slipped back into the darkness of addiction.  But no distance can separate his heart from mine.  And no matters of mere mortality can break the bond between our two souls. 

Walter watched out for me.  He helped me when I could not help myself.  He was a soul rebel. A modern-day folk hero.  I miss him terribly.

Bob Dylan said “A man is a success if he wakes up in the morning and goes to bed at night and does what he wants in between.”  Well, no-one was more successful in my eyes than Walter Buckner.

May he find the peace he deserves and sleep softly tonight in the knowledge that he will always be surrounded by love.

-peace/love
Jeremy